Apps - Frequently Asked Questions
Here are answers to the most common questions we receive regarding our apps:
(1) Will the App work on my device?
Our magazine and newspaper apps are designed to work on the majority of Apple and Android phones & tablets.
(2) How do I download the App for my subscription?
• Open the Apple App Store or Google Play store and search for the publication name followed by the word 'magazine' or 'newspaper’ i.e. "Pilot magazine" or “Sidmouth Herald newspaper”.
• Download the free App to your device.
(3) How do I login?
• If you have purchased a digital subscription within the app itself, you will not need to login to read editions, as the subscription purchase will be linked to your Apple or Google Play account and should keep you logged in whilst your subscription is active
• If you have purchased a digital subscription outside of the app (via our subscriptions website or over the phone) then you can login by tapping an edition cover and when prompted, tapping the Log In button and entering your surname and account number. Once logged in you will have full access to all editions and content within the app.
(4) How do I read editions?
To read an edition, simply select the issue you wish to view from the homescreen of the app and tap the cover image to open. There is no need to download an edition before reading it.
(5) How do I use the reader?
• When you first open an edition, the top and bottom navigation bars will display, showing you the various options available within the reader. To hide these bars simply tap on the screen between the bars or swipe to the next page and they will disappear. To bring them back up, tap anywhere on the screen again.
• To move between pages, swipe left or right on the screen or use the Page Viewer accessible from the top navigation bar to select a specific page.
• You can zoom in on a page by double tapping the screen or pinch and zoom by putting your thumb and index finger on the screen and stretch them apart to zoom in and pinch them together to zoom out again. Alternatively, hold your device in landscape orientation and tap the double/single page toggle button in the top navigation bar to switch into single page 'Reading Mode'. This pre-zoomed view is perfect for reading text and allows you to easily swipe down the page as you read.
(6) How do I view editions when I am not connected to the internet?
You can download editions to your device when you are online and save them to view when you are offline – please follow the instructions below regarding how to download an edition.
(7) How do I download an edition?
On the main homescreen of the app, tap the download button below the edition you wish to download. Once downloaded, your editions can be found in the 'My Content' section by tapping the 'My Content' button.
(8) How do I delete downloaded editions?
• Tap the 'My Content' button to go to the 'My Content' section of the app and locate your downloaded editions.
• Tap the 'Delete' button under the edition you wish to delete.
(9) The App is not responding, how do I resolve this?
• Exit the App by pressing the Home button on your device
• Open up the list of running Apps (Tap the square button on Android devices – Double tap home button on Apple devices)
• Locate the App and swipe to close.
• Return to the home screen by tapping the 'Home' button.
• Now open the App up again and the problem should have been resolved.
If the problem persists, please try the following;
• Open the App and tap the settings button.
• Select App Settings and then tap Data Usage and Clear Cache.
• If the problem still persists there may have been a problem during the installation of the App. In this case, please try deleting the App from your device and reinstalling from the App Store.
If there's anything not mentioned above that you'd like more assistance with please don't hesitate to get in touch